Skip to main content

Gala Painting: Final



Here's the final painting that came out of my time with Ecole Pauling Johnston. What a great group of kids to work with! Kudos to their teacher, Laura Delasalle, for enthusiastically supporting this project and for accommodating my schedule.

This piece really supports the work the school has done in adding to their existing playground Specifically, the wooden rounds are a new feature for the kids to jump and play on. They were simply calling out to be a feature on this painting too.

Here are a few of the techniques used to make this piece:
• CREATE: Vaseline resist and spray paint
• Wooden rounds: acrylic transfers of vector art
• Children illustrations: colour copied from a vintage story book
• Support textures: combination of collaged papers and acrylic paint

I'm looking forward to hearing the result of the silent auction for this piece. Good luck class!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anonymous Art Show

Happy New Year! I am once again embarrassed that so much time has elapsed since we last chatted. It was quite a year, that 2015. I cannot say that I'm sad to see it go. However, one bright spot in the year was that my daughter, Ruby, & I participated in the Anonymous Art Show  - the North Vancouver Community Arts Council's annual fund raiser. I have attached a few snaps of our submissions. My painting can be seen on the group photo of Those-Who-Make-It-Happen (top row, second painting on the left). We had fun getting our paints out and spending some quality art-time together. Ruby was thrilled to use acrylics, as opposed to mom-friendly washable paints. If you have a hankering to gift art at Christmas, make sure you check out their site in early November to get the dates of the 2016 show. Not only will your family & friends be thrilled to receive an original canvas, but the local art community will thank you too (each canvas is $100 with $50 going to the arti

DELIVERY: You are invited

Culture Crawl

The Eastside Culture Crawl in East Vancouver BC is an annual art crawl that takes our city by storm. The hub, at 1000 Parker is a weekend event within itself with literally floors of artisans occupying an old factory warehouse building... which is perfectly decrepit and artsy. My favourite is always Jill Pilon, at Watershed Studio. Her new linear series is brave and forward feeling. Clean in a collage-messy way. She is a huge inspiration to me. Currently I am focusing on more transfer technique discovery on cardboard. Nothing more freeing that playing on cardboard. Minimal material investment = more relaxed approach. I hope that, like me, you will make the most of staying inside during the winter to create and paint. The seasons are meant to inspire; use them to the fullest! ~ Kathryn